Macdonald Consolidated School
General material designation
- Multiple media
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: The source of the title proper is the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
CA PHI 2
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Macdonald Consolidated School
- Kings County
1 photograph 12x7 cm
1 photograph 25x29.5 cm
1 photograph 8x8 cm
1 photograph 14.5x10 cm
1 photograph 21x15 cm
1 photograph 21x16 cm
1 photograph 25.5x17.5 cm
1 photograph 27x20 cm
1 photograph 8.5x14 cm
2 photographs 14x9 cm
1 photograph 19.5x24.5 cm
2 photographs 30x25 cm
1 rendering 10.5x11.5 cm
4 blueprint storage tubes
3 booklets 21.5x14x0.1 cm
1 booklet 20.5x13x0.1 cm
1 booklet 35.5x21x0.2 cm
13.3 cm of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
Macdonald Consolidated School was built in the town of Kingston, Kings County, in 1904. It was the product of a rural education initiative by tobacco mogul Sir. William C. MacDonald. With the help of Prof. James Robertson of Ottawa he launched an experiment to improve education in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, and Ontario. The Macdonald Consolidated School in Kingston was the second to open, predated only by the one in Middleton, Nova Scotia. Seven one-room school houses consolidated in to MCS. The school was officially opened on June 16th, 1905.
Macdonald Consolidated School was the first in New Brunswick to have departments of Home Economics and Manual Training. Students where also instructed in the natural sciences and how they related to farming and agriculture.
The original school burnt down in 1909. It was, however, rebuilt and opened again in 1910. Though the new building was less impressive then the old it has been in use ever since and the school is still a place of learning to this day.
The material in this fonds came as acquisitions from many individual sources to the John Fisher Memorial Museum collection and is now stored in the Peninsula Heritage archives.
Scope and content
Attesting to the activities of MacDonald Consolidated School. The acquisitions within contain official documents and anecdotal remembrances of the school activities.
This fonds consists of 1978 land surveys, official building plan renovations and records of school activities since 1904. It also contains printed and photographed records of the school alumni society activity and details of school reunions. Letters, notices, newspaper articles, and student lists are included.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material