874 Route 845
Kingston, New Brunswick
CA E5N 1V3
Kingston Peninsula Heritage
Kingston Peninsula Heritage Inc. (KPH) is a volunteer managed, non-profit, charitable organization that promotes preservation of the area’s heritage resources. KPH involves people representing a broad interest in the human and natural history of the Kingston Peninsula. The group’s ambitious agenda includes programs to enhance identified built heritage sites, develop awareness and education, maintain an artifact collection and museum facility, create heritage displays, community signage, pamphlets, newsletters, publications and many other innovative projects.
The John Fisher Memorial Museum was established in 1982 and depicts many of the aspects of life on the Kingston Peninsula. From Wolastoqiyik basket work to the tools and clothing of early settlers the museum displays many local artifacts. Each year the summer exhibit portrays topics of local interest including history and local artists. The museum is named in honour of John Fisher, a celebrated CBC broadcaster and publicist. From 1943 to 1955, he travelled throughout the country, broadcasting its wonders on "John Fisher Reports", a popular program heard three times a week on the national radio system. He became affectionately known as "Mr. Canada" by many in the nation.
The Carter House was built by Frances Newman Perkins, a Loyalist from Connecticut, for his son Robert Perkins. The house was eventually passed down to Perkins’ daughter Phoebe and her husband William Pywell, a substantial landholder, innkeeper and lumberman who immigrated to New Brunswick in 1817 from England. In 1855 Pywell sold the house to William A. Carter, a shoemaker. Carter and his wife Mary Jones raised a family of ten children in this home, one of whom, William S. Carter, would later become a prominent figure in his community, and the Chief Superintendent of Education for the province. It is for him that the Carter House is named.
In 1964 Peninsula Heritage Inc. purchased Carter House with the intention of preserving and maintaining it for future generations. In the years that followed extensive renovations were undertaken and in 1998 the Carter House Tea Room was opened for business. Since that time it has served not only as an interesting and leisurely stop for travellers and a gathering place for locals, but also a source of summer employment, allowing local students to work close to home and gain valuable experience and knowledge about their community.
All locations : John Fisher Memorial Museum, 1810 Carter House Tearoom & Museum, Julia Bates Library
Early July - End August: Tuesday to Saturday, 10:00-4:00
Other months: By Appointment Only
Admission is Free
Goodwill donations greatly appreciated
We regret that wheelchair access to all locations is not available.
Parking is free at all locations. Note that parking at the 1810 Carter House is roadside.
English and French summer staff
Archival documents and audio recordings
Photocopies of select documents are available. There is a charge of .25 per copy.
The John Fisher Memorial Museum is located in the basement of the Macdonald Consolidated School (Junction of NB Route 845 and 850 in Kingston N.B.). The Museum offers a permanent exhibit featuring artifacts representing life on the Kingston Peninsula in the late 18th, 19th and early 20th centuries. There is also a new summer exhibit presented annually. 1810 Carter House, located very near the Museum at 874 Route 845 in Kingston, Menu features an assortment of tea, soup, sandwiches, daily desert specials, coffee, and lemonade.
There is a museum and reading library upstairs.