Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Macdonald Consolidated School
Parallel form(s) of name
- Kingston Consolidated School
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Macdonald Consolidated School was built in the town of Kingston, Kings County, in 1904. It was the product of a rural education initiative by tobacco mogul Sir. William C. MacDonald. With the help of Prof. James Robertson of Ottawa he launched an experiment to improve education in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, and Ontario. The Macdonald Consolidated School in Kingston was the second to open, predated only by the one in Middleton, Nova Scotia. Seven one-room school houses consolidated in to MCS. The school was officially opened on June 16th, 1905.
Macdonald Consolidated School was the first in New Brunswick to have departments of Home Economics and Manual Training. Students where also instructed in the natural sciences and how they related to farming and agriculture.
The original school burnt down in 1909. It was, however, rebuilt and opened again in 1910. Though the new building was less impressive then the old it has been in use ever since and the school is still a place of learning to this day.