United Women's Missionary Societies
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents.
Level of description
CA MNBM S 117 - 2
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- United Women's Missionary Societies
11 cm of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
The United Women's Missionary Societies of Saint John, New Brunswick was composed of representatives from Protestant churches in the city. It is not known exactly when the body was founded. Meetings, held at churches throughout Saint John, included prayers led by members, hymn singing, and a business meeting. Discussion centered around missionary work. A collection was made and the proceeds sent to missions for their work. In 1897 funds collected in this way were sent to Miss A.M. Barker in Constantinople (Istanbul) for relief to widows and children of the recent massacres.
In 1897, a standing committee was formed to provide efficient arrangements for annual prayer services in the city. The members included: Mrs. Allwood, Baptist Church; Mrs. Crookshank, Church of England; Miss Upton, Presbyterian Church; Miss Palmer, Methodist Church; and there was a representative from the Congregational Church as well.
The United Women's Missionary Societies changed its name to the Protestant Christian Women's Fellowship in 1953 then changed it once again in 1955 to the Women's inter-Church Council of Saint John.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of 9 volumes of minute books. The 5 volumes dated from 1897 to 1945 belonged to the United Women's Missionary Societies and the remaining 4 volumes (1945-1973) belonged to the Women's Inter-Church Council of Saint John.
Information about the structure of meetings, some names of members and missionaries and general missionary work is included. The Women's Inter-Church Council minutes include some financial reports, a type copy of the constitution and by-laws adopted in 1967, and some printed orders of church services and newsclippings relating to the annual World Day of Prayer. In volume 9, there are lists of executive members and denominational members of the Council from 1965-1973.
Early volumes are fragile with some loose pages
Immediate source of acquisition
Acquired from Women's Interchurch Council of Saint John, 
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access