Saint Andrew's Society
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents.
Level of description
CA MNBM ID261
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Saint Andrew's Society (Saint John, N.B.)
60 cm of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
Saint Andrew's Society of Saint John, New Brunswick, was founded in 1798 and is the second oldest Scottish society in Canada (the first being the North British Society of Halifax). The constitution establishes the principal tenets of the society as benevolent assistance to natives of Scotland and their descendants, and cultural longevity through cultural events.
The society has also contributed to the community: in 1916, it donated $1000 to the Patriotic Fund; in 1922, the War Memorial Scholarship; in 1967, funds to the Kiwanis Junior Pipe Band, concert grand piano to University of New Brunswick Saint John; 1973, first of many donations of books to the Saint John Regional Library; 1982 money to the Radiation-Oncology department of the Saint John Regional Hospital; and in 1992 the Society erected St. Andrew's House on University Avenue as a senior citizens' apartment complex and a permanent home for the Saint Andrew's Society.
Saint Andrew's Society Anniversary pamphlet, 1998
Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of minute books, 1849-1925; account books, 1860-1946; year end accounts, 1937-1966; and a roll book. There are also scrapbooks titled "Historians Records" which contain programmes, reports, notices of meetings and newspaper clippings, 1903-1966.
Immediate source of acquisition
Acquired from Saint Andrew's Society, 1984
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
S 50 - 1
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Brief overview of fonds