York-Sunbury Historical Society (Fredericton, N.B.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

York-Sunbury Historical Society (Fredericton, N.B.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

Formed in 1932

History

The York-Sunbury Historical Society was formed in 1932 in Fredericton, New Brunswick. Major W.G. Clark was the first president. The aim of the Society was "to gather and preserve objects and traditions of historical interest in the region of central New Brunswick, especially the counties of York and Sunbury, and to read and publish papers dealing with the same." A library and museum were begun in the Fredericton Post Office in 1932 and moved to the Officers' Barracks in 1934. The society published "The Officers' Quarterly". The York-Sunbury Historical Society provided the much needed service of collecting and preserving records before the Provincial Archives was established. In 1968 the bulk of their collection was transferred to the Archives. The society is active in 2003.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places