Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Women's Institute. Meductic Women's Institute (York County)
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Local branch organized in 1948
The Women's Institute was founded in 1897 by Adelaide Hoodless of Stoney Creek, Ontario. Mrs. James E. Porter of Andover, New Brunswick was instrumental in introducing the organization to New Brunswick women. Between 1911 and 1960, hundreds of branches of the Women's Institute were established across the province.
The Meductic Women's Institute was organized on September 2, 1948. The officers elected were: President, Mrs. Sheldon Durling; Secretary-Treasurer, Mrs. Douglas Bagley. In the beginning the group adopted 3 schools: Meductic, Benton and Riceville. The following items were purchased for the schools: window blinds, light shades, waste paper basket, cod liver oil capsules, paper towels, drinking cups, books, and a first aid kit. Later, the ladies started a well baby clinic, donated financially to the Manitoba Relief Fund, St. John Ambulance, Brownie and Girl Guides, Muscular Dystrophy Association, Kidney Association and the Home Company. Blankets were purchased for the Fire Department. Jams, jellies and pickles were made and donated to the Lewis Nursing Home. A key accomplishment of this branch was funding improvements to the Dowville Cemetery. Fundraisers to finance all of the above included the sale of cookbooks, rummage/food sales, and bring and buy sales.