Wilmot United Church (Fredericton, N.B.)
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA PANB MC49
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
1821-1825, 1919; Microfilmed 24 June 1971 (Creation)
- Wilmot United Church (Fredericton, N.B.)
2 cm of Textual records
2 reels of microfilm
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
The first Methodist Society meetings in Fredericton, were held in the home of Duncan Blair, as early as 1791, and the first Methodist chapel was built on a lot owned by Blair on Westmorland Street. In 1832, the site of the present Wilmot Church was purchased and a larger church was built. This building was destroyed in the great fire of 1850. The present church was finished and dedicated 1852.
In 1925, the Methodists, Congregationalists and a majority of Presbyterians in Frederiction united, and the Methodists church was renamed The Wilmot United Church in honor of Lemuel Allen Wilmot, Judge of The Supreme Court and first lieutenant Governor of New Brunswick after Confederation. Wilmot had been an active member of the Methodist congregation from his youth, serving as a class leader, a choir director, a Sunday school superintendant, and a trustee.
Information about the custody of the textual records prior to acquisition is incomplete.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of both textual and microfilmed records. Textual records include a record book for the Fredericton Methodist Chapel Sunday school, 1821-1825, that gives the names of individuals enrolled in the school, and a printed programme for a memorial service held at Fredericton Methodist Church on 19 January 1919 for soldiers who died during World War I.
Microfilmed records include vital records covering the years 1793-1971, and include baptisms (1793-1971, excluding 1835), marriages (1835-1874, 1918-1933), and burials (1850, 1920-1971), along with trustees minutes (1861-1930) and quarterly board minutes (1900-1919).
Immediate source of acquisition
The Sunday school record book was transferred from the attic of the Legislative Assembly building, probably in June 1971. Walter R. Fleet, of Condersport, Pennsylvania, donated the memorial service programme (1919) on 26 June 1992. Wilmot United Church lent the vital records to the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick for microfilming, probably in 1971.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
The original vital records are housed at Wilmot United Church.
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
MS2 records (Records of Fredericton Methodist Church and Wilmot United Church) may have restrictions. Please see private records archivist for details.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
See also MC1609 Wilmot Rural Cemetery Committee fonds