General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Webster, William Lusk, Ph.D.
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
Dr. William Lusk Webster (1903-1975) was born in Shediac, New Brunswick, the son of Dr. John Clarence Webster and Alice Lusk Webster. He was educated at the University of Toronto and Cambridge University, where he received his Ph.D. in 1926 for research in physics. After graduation he carried on research in physics at the Cavendish Laboratories, Cambridge. From 1932 to1934, he travelled in Africa and Russia.
Dr. Webster studied at the London School of Economics from 1934-1939. During World War II, he held various positions with the Directorate of Scientific Research, Ministry of Supply, London; the British Central Scientific Office, Washington; the National Research Council, Ottawa; the Air Defense Research and Development Establishment, Ministry of Supply, London and the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research of Great Britain, Washington. Dr. Webster was awarded the Order of the British Empire and the American Freedom Medal for his wartime work.
Following his father's death in 1950, William became a trustee of the Webster Museum Foundation at the New Brunswick Museum and also continued his father's interest in the Fort Beauséjour Museum. Dr. Webster was interested in the history of Westmorland County, particularly the Shediac area. In 1950, he returned to Shediac, where he remained until his death.
Ralph W. Hewson (ca. 1895-1963) was a Moncton lawyer and family lawyer for the Websters. He was the honorary curator of the Fort Beauséjour Museum and was a local historian.
Scope and content
The William Lusk Webster collection, with the exception of a few personal papers and the items collected by Ralph Hewson (the Webster family lawyer and a local historian), covers the years after Dr. Webster's return to Shediac (1950). The collection includes correspondence and notes on the Fort Beauséjour Museum, Shediac; Acadian history; and the New Brunswick Museum. There are land grants and transfers with related notes and correspondence.
The material assembled by Ralph Hewson includes the school register of Fort Lawrence, 1878; assessment records from several polling districts, 1870-1873; lists of officers of Cumberland County, 1874,1881,1883; and financial records of St. Andrews Church (Pointe-du- Chêne), 1866-1812. Also included are records and correspondence of the New Brunswick Museum Foundation, 1949-1971 and personal papers of William Lusk Webster, 1920-1974.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material