Fonds S 78A - 1 - Wiggins Male Orphan Institution

Title proper

Wiggins Male Orphan Institution

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA MNBM S 78A - 1

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Date(s)

  • 1876-1978 (Creation)
    Creator
    Wiggins Male Orphan Institution

Physical description

60 cm of textual records

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Name of creator

(1867-1982)

Administrative history

The Wiggins Male Orphan Institution was founded and endowed by Stephen Wiggins, a prominent Saint John merchant. Incorporated in 1867, the Home, located on St. James Street, opened in 1876. Although severely damaged in the fire of 1877, it was rebuilt on the same site. In 1922, the Wiggins Institution moved to a house on Mount Pleasant Avenue where it remained until a new Home was constructed, in 1965, on Hawthorne Avenue.

II. The Wiggins Male Orphan Institution, later known as the Stephen Wiggins Home for Boys, was established to care for male orphan and destitute male fatherless children born in Saint John County. In 1895 the Home's sphere of responsibility was extended to the entire province. The Stephen Wiggins Home for Boys was closed in 1982.

Custodial history

Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.

Scope and content

This fonds consists of minute books of the Governors, 1891-1937, and committees, 1892-1895, and accounts and auditors' statements. There is a record of examinations, 1885-1913, and admission applications, 1876-1944 (incomplete). There are also reports from the committees and the principal, 1880-1943 (incomplete), correspondence, 1877-1937 and deeds.

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Acquired from Stephen Wiggins Boys' Home, 1982

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

S 78A - 1

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Post 1900 admissions restricted. For access to these records, contact Paul D. Mills, Secretary-Treasurer of the Board of the Wiggins Male Orphan Institute.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Brief inventory available

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area