Victoria Skating Rink
Dénomination générale des documents
- Document textuel
Compléments du titre
Mentions de responsabilité du titre
Notes du titre
- Source du titre propre: Title based on contents.
Niveau de description
CA MNBM ID2398
Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition
Mention d'échelle (cartographique)
Mention de projection (cartographique)
Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)
Mention d'échelle (architecturale)
Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)
- Victoria Skating Rink
8 pp of textual records
Titre propre de la collection
Titres parallèles de la collection
Compléments du titre de la collection
Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection
Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection
Note sur la collection
Nom du producteur
In October 1863, a group of citizens of Saint John, New Brunswick, organized the Victoria Skating Rink Company. Shares were sold and season tickets issued. The rink was located on City Road, in Portland. The building was designed by Charles Walker, civil engineer, and built by James Quinton, contractor at a cost of $14,000, which was paid off before the opening on 5 January 1864. The building was circular with a dome and many windows, a platform for a band and galleries for spectators. The rink was managed by the Victoria Skating Club from 1870 and probably before.
By 1907, the Victoria Skating Rink was owned and managed by Robert J. Armstrong (d. 1943). In later years it belonged to F.E. Williams and, upon his death, passed to his son-in-law George Hamm, manager of Blue Ribbon Beverages of Montreal. The beverage company later took over the rink with plans to erect a plant at the site. It is unknown when the rink closed.
Sources: New Brunswick Museum -- Quinton family papers, (S107, box 2, F11) and Colwell collection (S72, box 1, pkt. 4a)
Historique de la conservation
Information about the custody of this record prior to acquisition is incomplete
Portée et contenu
This collection consists of documents about the Victoria Skating Rink. There are 2 stock certificates for single shares purchased in 1882 and 1883, as well as two letters and a receipt, to John Walsh of Mill Street, from R.J. Armstrong regarding the use of the alleyway between Mr. Walsh's home and the York Theatre (connected with the Victoria Skating Rink). Some seasons tickets are also included.
État de conservation
Source immédiate d'acquisition
Stock certificates were acquired from Helen Wilson in 1950. The source of the other items is unknown.
Langue des documents
Écriture des documents
Localisation des originaux
Disponibilité d'autres formats
Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication
Instruments de recherche
There are records about the construction of the Rink in the Quinton family reocords S107 and the Colwell collection, S72 both at the New Brunswick Museum