Victoria Skating Rink
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents.
Level of description
CA MNBM ID2398
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Victoria Skating Rink
8 pp of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
In October 1863, a group of citizens of Saint John, New Brunswick, organized the Victoria Skating Rink Company. Shares were sold and season tickets issued. The rink was located on City Road, in Portland. The building was designed by Charles Walker, civil engineer, and built by James Quinton, contractor at a cost of $14,000, which was paid off before the opening on 5 January 1864. The building was circular with a dome and many windows, a platform for a band and galleries for spectators. The rink was managed by the Victoria Skating Club from 1870 and probably before.
By 1907, the Victoria Skating Rink was owned and managed by Robert J. Armstrong (d. 1943). In later years it belonged to F.E. Williams and, upon his death, passed to his son-in-law George Hamm, manager of Blue Ribbon Beverages of Montreal. The beverage company later took over the rink with plans to erect a plant at the site. It is unknown when the rink closed.
Sources: New Brunswick Museum -- Quinton family papers, (S107, box 2, F11) and Colwell collection (S72, box 1, pkt. 4a)
Information about the custody of this record prior to acquisition is incomplete
Scope and content
This collection consists of documents about the Victoria Skating Rink. There are 2 stock certificates for single shares purchased in 1882 and 1883, as well as two letters and a receipt, to John Walsh of Mill Street, from R.J. Armstrong regarding the use of the alleyway between Mr. Walsh's home and the York Theatre (connected with the Victoria Skating Rink). Some seasons tickets are also included.
Immediate source of acquisition
Stock certificates were acquired from Helen Wilson in 1950. The source of the other items is unknown.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
There are records about the construction of the Rink in the Quinton family reocords S107 and the Colwell collection, S72 both at the New Brunswick Museum