Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Victoria Skating Rink
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Company organized in 1863, first opened in 1864
In October 1863, a group of citizens of Saint John, New Brunswick, organized the Victoria Skating Rink Company. Shares were sold and season tickets issued. The rink was located on City Road, in Portland. The building was designed by Charles Walker, civil engineer, and built by James Quinton, contractor at a cost of $14,000, which was paid off before the opening on 5 January 1864. The building was circular with a dome and many windows, a platform for a band and galleries for spectators. The rink was managed by the Victoria Skating Club from 1870 and probably before.
By 1907, the Victoria Skating Rink was owned and managed by Robert J. Armstrong (d. 1943). In later years it belonged to F.E. Williams and, upon his death, passed to his son-in-law George Hamm, manager of Blue Ribbon Beverages of Montreal. The beverage company later took over the rink with plans to erect a plant at the site. It is unknown when the rink closed.
Sources: New Brunswick Museum -- Quinton family papers, (S107, box 2, F11) and Colwell collection (S72, box 1, pkt. 4a)