Victoria Public Hospital
General material designation
- Sound recording
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title is based on the contents of the collection.
Level of description
CA PANB MC75
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Victoria Public Hospital (Fredericton, N.B)
1.05 m of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
The Victoria Public Hospital was built in June 1887 as the Victoria Cottage Hospital through the efforts of Alice Tilley, wife of the Lieutenant-Governor of New Brunswick. It was incorporated in 1898, and the original wooden structure served the medical needs of Fredericton until a new facility, the Frazer Memorial Hospital, was built near the original site in 1922. The stone-faced structure was designed with four floors, and had the capacity for two operating rooms, an X-ray room and a dietary kitchen.
By 1935, even this structure was not enough, and the old wooden hospital was demolished to accommodate the expansion of the Frazer building. An east, west and north wing were added, with capacity for 138 more patients. Further expansion in 1950 saw the addition of a self-contained laundry, power and storage facility. A 1960 renovation and expansion project, partly financed by the nearby community of Oromocto, New Brunswick saw 97 more beds added to the facility.
Local demands eventually exceeded the Frazer building's capacity, and led to the closure of the Victoria Hospital and its subsequent replacement by the Dr. Everett Chalmers Hospital, in 1978. Arthur M. Limerick (b. 1908) and Ralph Victor Limerick (b. 1910) were brothers and members of the family law firm. Ralph became a judge of the Supreme Court of the province. Both men served as trustees of the Victoria Hospital from 1954-1959.
Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.
Scope and content
The Victoria Public Hospital collection consists of two groups of records. The first group, donated by the hospital administrator, includes correspondence, 1887, 1921-1949; annual reports, 1905-1934; financial and statistical reports and other financial records. There are minutes of medical staff meetings and registers of physicians, trustees, and distinguished visitors. Of particular interest is a photocopy of a letter, dated 3 Feburary 1887, from Bishop John Medley to Lady Tilley regarding the proposed establishment of a hospital at Fredericton. The records of construction at the hospital, 1925-1926, include photographs which have been transferred to the Archives' Photographic Section (P2/0273) and plans, which have been deposited in the Archives' Cartographic Section.
The second group of papers, covering the period 1954-1969, originally belonged to Arthur Limerick and R. V. Limerick and include agenda and minutes of Board of Trustee meetings, administrator's reports, and minutes and other papers of the Executive Committee. There is correspondence, with related papers, about labour relations, the nursing staff and the expansion of the buildings. Statistics and financial papers are also included.
Immediate source of acquisition
Part of this collection was donated to the Provincial Achives by Mr. Rupert Stocker, Administrator of the Victoria Public Hospital in 1974. The material related to the Board of Trustees was transferred internally from the records of the Supreme Court of New Brunswick in 1975.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
An inventory is available.