St. Paul's United Church (Fredericton, N.B.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

St. Paul's United Church (Fredericton, N.B.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

Incorporated 1832

History

St. Paul's Presbyterian Church of Fredericton, New Brunswick was incorporated in 1832 to serve the growing number of Presbyterians in the community. Construction of the building began about 1828 and was completed in 1830. In 1843, the Disruption in the Church of Scotland was felt among St. Paul's congregation when the Free Kirkers left the church, remaining separated until 1874. In 1886 a new church building was constructed on the corner of George and York streets to serve the enlarged congregation. During the debate over church union in the 1920s, most of the members of St. Paul's congregation voted to join the new United Church of Canada. Some members of St. Paul's, however, desired to remain within the Presbyterian Church and formed St. Andrews Presbyterian Church, building a new church on Charlotte Street.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places