General material designation
- Textual record
- Architectural drawing
- Sound recording
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Wesley United Church
30.9 cm of Textual Records, 2 tapes, 1.7 cm Architectural Plans
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
The Wesley United Church in St. Andrews, New Brunswick, began its life as a Methodist church. The origins of Methodism in St. Andrews began with a preacher named Reverend Duncan McColl, who visited St. Andrews in 1784 on a business venture. He came to settle in St. Stephen, New Brunswick, and preached in that area, while often visiting St. Andrews to preach as well. Although it is unknown where Duncan McColl preached in St. Andrews or how frequently, he is credited as the founder of Methodism in the community.
Sufficient progress was made for the cause of the Methodist Mission in St. Andrews to justify the appointment of a dedicated minister and the formation of a separate circuit in 1830. The circuit included St. Andrews, Bocabec, Digdeguash and St. Patrick, and the first appointed minister was Reverend Henry Daniel. When he was stationed in St. Andrews, immediately plans were made for the erection of the first Methodist church.
Starting in 1831, Reverend Henry Daniel and the Methodist preachers who would follow him in later years preached in a small Methodist chapel, which was used from 1831 to 1867. Starting in 1864 steps were taken toward the construction of the present Wesley United Church building in St. Andrews. In 1867 construction on the new church building was completed, and in May 1867 the church was dedicated. The first Methodist chapel was then sold and moved a short distance to another lot of land in St. Andrews where it was used for many years as a school room. Reverend Robert Wilson was the first minister to preach at this church during his term at St. Andrews from 1866-1869.
In 1876 the Bocabec, Digdeguash and St. Patrick areas were formed into a separate circuit, leaving St. Andrews as a single charge within the Methodist church. This church remained a Methodist church until June of 1925 when, following the decision made by the Methodist, Presbyterian, and Congregationalist churches to form a church union, it became a united church. Following a congregational meeting held in July of 1925, the name of the church in St. Andrews was decided to be the Wesley United Church.
In 1952 the congregation of the Wesley United Church in St. Andrews began to feel the need for an extension to the church building. This was due to increased activity at the church during the preceding years, following the growth of the church’s Sunday school, and an influx of new people in the community due to increased activity at the shipyards during World War II. Around this time a bequest was received from Miss Annie Chase amounting to about $2,000 for Sunday school purposes. After much discussion and planning, plans submitted by architect Mr. M.J. Barrett of St. John were approved and the building was erected under the direction of Mr. Delbert Rigby and completed in 1956. The dedication service for the new addition to the building was held on Sunday evening, December 30, 1956. Other additions to the church in later years include 5 windows placed on the sides of the church as memorials to Mrs. Stuart MacPhail, Mrs. Emma Hewett, Mrs. Amy Graham, Miss Ida Graham, and Mrs. Marguerite Stuart.
Scope and content
This fonds contains material related to the history and administration of the United Churches in Charlotte County. Most of the material concerns the Wesley United Church in St. Andrews, but there are also documents on the Leonardville United Church, Grand Manan Methodist Church, Bocabec United Church, Kirk-McColl United Church, St. Stephen Presbytery, and the United Church Women in St. Andrews.
Most of the items are relatively recent photocopies with no major damage, but some original older documents are included which can be brittle, faded, or have minor tears along the edges.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Place access points
- Provinces and Territories (Canada) » New Brunswick » St. Andrews
- Provinces and Territories (Canada) » New Brunswick » Bocabec
- Provinces and Territories (Canada) » New Brunswick » Deer Island
- Provinces and Territories (Canada) » New Brunswick » Charlotte County » Grand Manan Island
- Provinces and Territories (Canada) » New Brunswick » St. Stephen
Name access points
- Wesley United Church (Subject)