St. Thomas University
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA PANB MC258
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- St. Thomas University (Chatham and Fredericton, N.B.)
60 cm of textual records, textual records on 6 reels of microfilm, and 4 photographs : b&w ; 9 x 16.5 or smaller
RESTRICTIONS APPLY - SEE INVENTORY FOR DETAILS
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
In 1910, Thomas Berry, the Roman Catholic bishop of the Diocese of Chatham in Northumberland County, New Brunswick, invited the Basilian Fathers, of Toronto, to take charge of a school in Chatham (now part of Miramichi) to be called St. Thomas College. The college was to provide education for boys at the secondary and junior college levels. In 1910-1911, there were 34 boarders and 55 day pupils. The Basilian Fathers remained in charge until 1923, when the college was placed under the direct control of the Diocese.
In 1934, the college became a degree granting institution, and, in 1960, changed its name to St. Thomas University. In 1961, high school courses were eliminated. In 1962, the Royal Commission on Higher Education in New Brunswick recommended that St. Thomas University enter a federation agreement with the University of New Brunswick (UNB) and move to Fredericton to share facilities of the UNB campus. The new premises, in Fredericton, opened in 1964.
Source: MC258 calendars
Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.
Scope and content
The fonds consists mainly of financial and administrative records for St. Thomas University and its predecessor institution, St. Thomas College. Financial records, including account books, ledgers, and bank books, 1910-1957. Administrative records include correspondence about the payment of tuition fees for students under programs of the Indian Affairs Branch, the Department of National Defence and the Department of Veterans' Affairs, 1949-1959, along with a listing of boarders and day scholars of St. Thomas College, 1910-1911, a copy of the constitution of the Students' Union of St. Thomas University, 1968-1969, a report entitled, "Residence Regulations - Men, St. Thomas University, Fredericton [1960s?], and a few other records.
Also included are printed brochures; souvenir programmes; biographical sketches of 11 priests (Rogers, Costello, Ploude, Reath, Pageau, Sheridan, Roach (2), Finnigan, Meader, and Pickett); a very few newspaper articles [1960s?]; and 4 photographs of building construction on the Fredericton campus.
There are also St. Thomas College / St. Thomas University calendars, dating from the 1911-1912 academic year to the 1985-1986 academic year, either in hard copy, on microfilm, or in both forms. Several years are missing in this run, more specifically, 1919-1920; 1920-1921; 1921-1922; 1924-1925; 1926-1927; 1928-1929; 1931-1932; and 1936-1937.
The fonds contains a few records relating to the university's student newspaper, "The Aquinian". There are 6 issues (originals) of "The Aquinian" (October, November, and December, 1964; February 1965; 13 February 1967; and 25 March 1968); several draft articles; an issue of "Nike", the newspaper's literary supplement (1965); and a few other records.
Student files, dating from 1914-1983, on microfilms F11808-F11812 are restricted. St. Thomas University faculty meeting minutes, 1967-1982, and St. Thomas University Senate minutes, 1968-3 June 1982, are available only on microfilm F11813.