St. Patrick's Church (Nelson : Roman Catholic) fonds : [1801-1972]
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Variations in title: Previously known as MC394 Saint Patrick's Parish register, Chatham, N.B.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Microfilmed 1981 (Creation)
5 reels of microfilm
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church at Nelson, Northumberland County, New Brunswick, was founded by missionary father William Dollard, who was sent to the Miramichi area in 1823 by the Bishop of Quebec. In 1824 he replaced the existing church, known as Malcolm's Chapel, with a structure that was destroyed by fire in 1883. St. Patrick's Church was rebuilt.
Father B. M. Broderick, then of St. Michael's Church, Chatham, lent the register to the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick for microfilming in 1981. The material was sent to the R.C.M.P. for infra-red photographic printing and then microfilmed.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of microfilmed copies of parish registers for St. Patrick's Church, South Nelson, dating from 1801-1826 (F1749, F8108); 1826-1858 (F3); 1859-1906 (F7895), and 1959-1972 (F1224) which record baptisms, marriages, and burials.
Microfilm reel no. F3 also contains a history of St. Patrick's Church.
Immediate source of acquisition
The originals were lent by Father B. M. Broderick, then of St. Michael's Church, Chatham, to the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick for microfilming in 1981.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Microfilm reels no. F7895, F1749, F8108, F3, and F1224.
Restrictions on access
The microfilm reels F7895 and F1224 containing records dated 1859-1906 and 1959-1972 respectively are restricted.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
An inventory is available.
Generated finding aid
There is also a history of St. Patrick's Church, South Nelson, on microfilm no. F3.