St. Mary's Chapel-of-Ease (Chatham : Anglican)
General material designation
- Textual record
- Architectural drawing
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
CA PANB MC253
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Anglican Church. St. Mary's Chapel-of-Ease (Chatham, N.B.)
82.5 cm of textual records
1 reel of microfilm
2 architectural drawings
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
The first Anglican church in the Miramichi area of New Brunswick was erected in the early 1800s to serve both Newcastle and Chatham. The Reverend Samuel Bacon oversaw the construction of the Gothic-style church on a site located near both communities. The first service was held at St. Paul's Church at Christmas 1825. Within a short time, members of the congregation expressed dissatisfaction with the distance they had to travel to attend services. In the 1830s plans were drawn to construct St. Mary's Chapel-of-Ease at Chatham to serve Anglicans residing there. Built by contractors Thomas Hodgson and S. J. Frost, the church opened in 1836.
A dispute soon arose over where to hold vestry meetings -- in the parish church of St. Paul's or in St. Mary's Chapel. In 1889 the Reverend David Forsyth took charge of the parish and oversaw renovations to both churches. The chapel was totally destroyed by fire on 12 June 1964 and was not immediately rebuilt due to declining membership. The rectory remained on the site until about 1975 when it was demolished. Eventually, a new St. Mary's Chapel was built of brick and stone on the original site. In 1981 both St. Mary's Chapel and St. Paul's Church were under the leadership of the same priest.
"David's Kingdom" by W. A. Spray, 1979
Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.
Scope and content
This fonds contains the administrative records of St. Mary's Chapel-of-Ease and of its various groups and associations. It consists of a register of confirmations (1887), registers of services, record books of contributions, and a record book of loans. Also included are minutes of the Parochial Guild and Women's Association, the Women's Association (senior and girls' branches), and the Rural Deanery, as well as a treasurer's book for the Women's Association (girls' branch) and a few pieces of correspondence relating to the Deanery. The register of services for 1921-1964 also contains entries for St. Paul's Church. Architectural plans and drawings of St. Mary's Chapel-of-Ease were transferred to the Map Section.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated to the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick by Clarence Morris, of Chatham, N.B., on 11 August 1975.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Some of St. Mary's Chapel-of-Ease and St. Paul's Church records (baptisms, marriages, burials) are located on microfilm reel no. F1110.
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
An inventory is available.
Parish of Chatham records for the period 1822-1970 are located on microfilm reel nos. F8150, F8151, and F1096.