General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
1942, 1964-2011 (Creation)
- St. David's, Georgetown Pastoral Charge
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
A pastoral charge is a grouping of churches termed "preaching points"--each with separate names and governing boards or sessions. These churches are served by one minister. The pastoral charge title usually reflects the breadth of the geographic area encompassing the charge.
St. David’s, Georgetown is comprised of the preaching point of St. David’s United Church.
Georgetown, which was originally known as Three Rivers, was visited by the Presbyterian missionary, Rev. James McGregor in 1793. He later returned to visit the area in 1806. In 1836, Rev. Roderick McAulay was sent by the Church of Scotland to work in Prince Edward Island, using Georgetown as his base and holding services in the court house. A year later, in 1837, land in Georgetown was granted for use by the Church of Scotland and construction began on a church building which was partially completed by 1839. After the formation of the Free Church, the congregation in Georgetown was split with the majority opting to remain with the Church of Scotland but a minority group split off to become part of the Free Church. By 1874, the charge included Cardigan, Montague and Georgetown. Georgetown and Montague separated to form separate congregations in 1882. Many of the early St. David’s records were destroyed by fire.
In 1925, upon the formation of the United Church of Canada, St. David’s Presbyterian Church became St. David’s United Church. At this time, Georgetown Pastoral Charge contained the appointments of Georgetown, Sturgeon, and Milltown Cross. In 1959, Sturgeon became part of Montague Pastoral Charge and Milltown Cross became part of the Valleyfield Pastoral Charge leaving Georgetown as the sole preaching point. On September 29, 1965, Georgetown and Dundas Pastoral Charges amalgamated to form the Central Kings Pastoral Charge.
Georgetown remained a preaching point on the Central Kings Pastoral Charge until January 1, 2005 when Souris Bay and Bay Fortune became part of Kings United Pastoral Charge along with Dundas and Annandale from the former Central Kings Pastoral Charge. Georgetown once again became its own pastoral charge.
Scope and content
Records of Session
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
The Public Archives of Prince Edward Island holds microfilms of many records for the Pastoral Charge.
See Central Kings Pastoral Charge fonds and Kings United Pastoral Charge fonds.