St. Andrews Masonic Lodge
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the collection.
Level of description
CA PANB MC202
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
4 reels of microfilm
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
The Masonic Order probably had a presence in St. Andrews, New Brunswick prior to 1800. The Eastern Star Lodge No. 37 was formally recognized by the Grand Lodge of Nova Scotia on 29 August 1814, and the St. Andrews Royal Arch Chapter was established under the warrant of the Eastern Star Lodge about 1819. The Hibernian Lodge No. 318 was formed on 10 March 1830, the first lodge organized in New Brunswick under the authority of the Grand Lodge of Ireland. The warrant was issued to Samuel Barclay, William Finley, and Samuel Brown as master and wardens. The lodge closed in 1863 due to declining membership.
The Hibernian Royal Arch Chapter received its warrant about 1834, and the Hibernian Encampment, organized on 5 April 1840, was the first band of Knights Templars in New Brunswick. Saint Mark's Lodge No. 759 received its charter from the Grand Lodge of England on 9 August 1845, the warrant being issued to the Reverend Jerome Alley, Charles Vaughan Forster, William Jarvis, Thomas Wyer, Robert Edward Law, Samuel Tilley Gove, and Samuel Frye. In 1862 the lodge number was changed to 718. In 1868 the English warrant was surrendered and the lodge became known as Saint Mark's No. 5 of the Grand Lodge of New Brunswick.
Saint Mark's No. 5 is not to be confused with Saint Mark's Royal Arch Chapter, which was constituted under a warrant dated 5 April 1846 issued by the Grand Royal Arch Chapter of England to the Reverend Jerome Alley, Thomas Wyer, Samuel McCurdy, Samuel Tilley Gove, Charles Kennedy, Charles A. Robrock, Donald D. Morrison, James McMaster, and John Ayman. Saint Mark's Royal Arch Chapter was issued a new warrant by the Grand Royal Arch Chapter of Canada in 1877.
It is unclear how the records of the Hibernian Lodge came into the possession of St. Mark's lodge.
Scope and content
This collection consists of 15 minute books of Saint Mark's Masonic Lodge No. 5 for the years 1854-2007 inclusive, as well as a single minute book of Hibernian Masonic Lodge No. 318 for the years 1845-1863.
Immediate source of acquisition
Lent to the Provincial Archives for microfilming by the Saint Mark's Lodge of St. Andrews, New Brunswick in 1983 and 2010.
Since the records of these 2 lodges came into the Provincial Archives at the same time and were filmed together, they have been treated as a collection, rather than two separate fonds.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Restrictions lifted by St. Mark's Lodge in October 2010 - after PANB had filmed post 1975 minutes - which are marked "restricted." Wayne Hitchcock called PANB with this information.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
An inventory is available.