General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
1790, 1796, 1890 (Creation)
- Saint John's Church (Gagetown, N.B.: Anglican)
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
Saint John's Church, Gagetown, New Brunswick, was built in 1790-1791 with a grant from the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel. The first rector was Richard Clarke, one of the first SPG missionaries in the area. It was built on a lot donated by Daniel Babbit by James Peck, a house joiner and military engineer and Solomon Dingee, -1836, a house carpenter, both Loyalists from Gagetown.
Solomon Dingee came to Saint John in 1783 from Long Island, New York, and settled in Gagetown. Under the terms of their contract, James Peck and Solomon Dingee were paid £300 and supplied all necessary materials at their own cost. The church was consecrated in 1792.
Some of the parishioners came from as far away as Grand Lake, N.B. There were special pews set aside for singers and for Blacks, many Loyalists had having brought their slaves and freed slaves with them to Queens County.
In 1811 Richard Clarke resigned and was succeeded by his son, Samuel Clarke, who remained rector until 1842. In 1880 the old church was pulled down and replaced by the present building.
Wright, Esther C., Loyalists of New Brunswick and Reicker, Marion G., Those Days Are Gone Away Queens Co. N.B. 1643-1901
Scope and content
This fonds consists of copies of a contract, 1790, between the Rector, wardens, and vestry and Solomon Dingee and James Peck to build the church. The contract gives details of the size, shape and materials to be used in the church, as well as financial provisions.
There are also copies of a letter, 1796, appointing the Rev. Richard Clark to the parish of Gagetown, and of a letter, 1890, the resignation of the Rev. H. Hackenly.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material