Saint John Unitarian Fellowship
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
CA PANB MC195
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Saint John Unitarian Fellowship
35 cm of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
The Saint John Unitarian Fellowship can trace its roots to the 1850s when André Cushing, George B. Cushing, E.D. Jewett, Ebenezer Sutton, and M. Dunn contributed financially to the construction of a structure on Hazen Street in Saint John, New Brunswick. Completed in 1853, the church began to attract members. The deaths of several founding members, however, left the church without leadership for a number of years.
In the late 19th century, a Unitarian Universalist Church was functioning in Saint John, but by the mid-20th century it had declined. In the 1960s representatives of 10 families met to discuss the re-establishment of a Unitarian presence in Saint John. Interest in the Fellowship grew, and members purchased and refurbished a facility on Germain Street known as Unitarian House. Also in the1960s a corporate body, Unitarians of Saint John Inc., was incorporated to operate the Unitarian Fellowship. In 1997 the name of the group was changed to the Unitarian Universalist Church of Saint John.
Representatives of the Saint John Unitarian Fellowship probably transferred these records to the Unitarian Universalist Church of Halifax, Nova Scotia before 1992.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of administrative records of the Saint John Unitarian Fellowship beginning in 1960. It includes minutes of regular and annual meetings, minutes of committee meetings, correspondence, annual reports, conference reports, notes, membership lists, newsletters, and pamphlets.
Immediate source of acquisition
The Unitarian Universalist Church of Halifax, Nova Scotia donated these records to the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick in 3 installments -- 2 July 1992, 17 August 1992, and 16 November 1992.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
An inventory is available.
The Provincial Archives of New Brunswick also holds MC1455 Unitarian Fellowship of Moncton fonds. PANB also holds a manuscript copy of the constitution of the First Universalist Society, St. David, Charlotte County, which was organized by James Brown, Sr., and others in 1840. See MC295/MS24.