Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Saint John Unitarian Fellowship can trace its roots to the 1850s when André Cushing, George B. Cushing, E.D. Jewett, Ebenezer Sutton, and M. Dunn contributed financially to the construction of a structure on Hazen Street in Saint John, New Brunswick. Completed in 1853, the church began to attract members. The deaths of several founding members, however, left the church without leadership for a number of years.
In the late 19th century, a Unitarian Universalist Church was functioning in Saint John, but by the mid-20th century it had declined. In the 1960s representatives of 10 families met to discuss the re-establishment of a Unitarian presence in Saint John. Interest in the Fellowship grew, and members purchased and refurbished a facility on Germain Street known as Unitarian House. Also in the1960s a corporate body, Unitarians of Saint John Inc., was incorporated to operate the Unitarian Fellowship. In 1997 the name of the group was changed to the Unitarian Universalist Church of Saint John.