- CA MNBM 249
- [after 3 May 1853]
Common Clerk of Saint John
219 results directly related Exclude narrower terms
Common Clerk of Saint John
The fonds consist of a typescript copy of the diary kept by Abigail Chipman Ryerson, wife of Captain John K. Ryerson, during a voyage by sailing ship from Saint John, New Brunswick, to Greenock, Scotland, and back. The voyage began on 27 August and the last entry in the diary was made on 19 December 1847 at Brier Island where the vessel was stayed by a snowstorm.
The diary includes descriptions of everyday life on a ship from a female point of view, including such activities as quilting, sewing, knitting, and cooking. She also mentions Partridge Island, noting the recent arrivals of Irish immigrants there. There is a description of an encounter 24 November 1847 with the abandoned and waterlogged remains of the "Cumbria of Gloucester", located at latitude 50, longitude 40.
Ryerson, Abigail Chipman (née Shaw)
This fonds consists of correspondence, specifications, patents and notes on Abraham Gesner's geological work. There are records of his patents and petitions for patents as well as specifications and plans for manufacturing kerosene. Some personal papers, including a memorandum of a will, an appointment to the Geological Survey of New Brunswick, and the assignment of a mortgage are included.
This fonds consists of a book containing the constitution, bylaws and minutes in 1874 for the Acme Base Ball Club.
Acme Baseball Club
This fonds consists of financial and accounting records, including the time books of David Catte, cabinet maker who did much of the fine finishing work for Emery and a record book of the plans (900) with names of customers for whom furniture was designed. There are also 800 workbench plans, a scrapbook of designs, negatives, glass slides and drawings. A copy of "Cabinet Makers Assistant" (London: Blackie & Son, 1863) is also included.
Emery, Alban Schofield
This fonds consists of certificates for appointments and qualifications granted to Barnhill by the Supreme Court of New Brunswick.
Barnhill, Alexander Perley
This fonds consists of the business and political records of A. P. Paterson. The business records include three letter books dated 1900-1909 recording Baird and Peter's business in Puerto Rico importing goods such as molasses. There are also printed advertisements and price lists.
The political records include typescripts of articles and speeches, published pamphlets relating to Maritime Rights and the British North America (BNA) Act, and reports on Royal Commissions. There is correspondence about Paterson's duties as Minister of Education and Municipal and Federal Affairs, and applications for government jobs primarily from Saint John residents and firms with references to a patronage committee. There are articles, correspondence, speeches and drafts of speeches on Maritime Rights and the British North America Act.
There is also a section of printed ephemera which includes poetry from the "Evening Gazette", Saint John, 1889; regulations of Municipal Employment office in Saint John, 1939; an address by Emile Vaillancourt to the Kiwanis Club of Montreal entitled "When Montreal was 200 years old" and a brief by the Canadian Teachers Federation to the Federal Government in 1949.
Patterson, Alexander Pierce
This collection consists of correspondence, minute books, memberships, newspaper clippings, and ephemera about 4 societies with which Fairweather was involved: Young Women's Patriotic Association, 1916-1917; Canadian Women's Press Club, 1916-1934; New Brunswick Loyalists' Society, 1889-1940, including copies of the muster rolls of the New Jersey Volunteers in the American Revolution; and Saint John Hospitality Centre, 1941-1945.
Fairweather, Alice L.
The fonds contains an account book for Allan's Pharmacy and a volume detailing prescriptions.
This fonds consists of two certificates. One is Steven's military discharge certificate dated 1902, which contains age, physical description, military unit and date discharged. There is also a freeman's certificate, 1967, presented to Alonzo Stevens and several others in honour of their military service.