Saint John General Public Hospital time capsule
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Saint John General Public Hospital time capsule
30 cm of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
On 3 August 1930, the cornerstone for the General Public Hospital on Waterloo Street, Saint John, New Brunswick, was laid by Dr. Walter W. White, mayor of Saint John. The stone was on the building exterior, believed to be at the main entrance.
The 1957 extension at the centre of the original building required the relocation of the 1930 cornerstone. It was moved to the interior where the Outpatient Department was located. At this time this time the original stone was found to be cracked and too fragile to be moved to its new location. The hospital board decided to make a replica stone from a salvaged stone block. When the stone was relocated, the box was reopened and more items from 1957 were added. When the 1930 stone was re-laid the masons placed a small wood box with memorabilia of Walter Irvine and Harry Saunders.
Source: Saint John General Hospital Cornerstone & Time Capsule Removal Project, 1995 by Harold Wright
When the decision to tear down the hospital was made in 1995, Harold Wright and other volunteers agreed to recover the capsule. When they went to recover it, they found that it had been stolen. The box was later recovered by the RCMP and given to the New Brunswick Museum.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of records dated 1929-1930 about a range of subjects including the construction of the hospital, its reports, the Training School for Nurses, Women's Hospital Aid and General Public Hospital Nurses' Alumnae. There are also the pharmacopoeia of General Public Hospital, 1927, a parchment volume listing boards and departments, newspapers and the blueprints of the General Public Hospital.
Immediate source of acquisition
Acquired from City of Saint John, 1996
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Detailed inventory is available
Related records can be found in Saint John General Hospital Cornerstone & Time Capsule Removal Project fonds (ID 4777) is also in the New Brunwick Museum.