Saint John General Public Hospital time capsule

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Saint John General Public Hospital time capsule

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1930

History

On 3 August 1930, the cornerstone for the General Public Hospital on Waterloo Street, Saint John, New Brunswick, was laid by Dr. Walter W. White, mayor of Saint John. The stone was on the building exterior, believed to be at the main entrance.

The 1957 extension at the centre of the original building required the relocation of the 1930 cornerstone. It was moved to the interior where the Outpatient Department was located. At this time this time the original stone was found to be cracked and too fragile to be moved to its new location. The hospital board decided to make a replica stone from a salvaged stone block. When the stone was relocated, the box was reopened and more items from 1957 were added. When the 1930 stone was re-laid the masons placed a small wood box with memorabilia of Walter Irvine and Harry Saunders.

Source: Saint John General Hospital Cornerstone & Time Capsule Removal Project, 1995 by Harold Wright

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC