General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Saint John. Board of Health
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
The Saint John Board of Health was established 12 April 1855 by an act of the Provincial Assembly. It consisted of five members, residents of the city and county, appointed by the lieutenant-governor: William Bayard, M.D., chairman; George Nowlin, T.D. Lewin; John McLauchlin and James Flewelling. James Porter was clerk of the Board. and 3 sanitary inspectors were appointed.
The Saint John Board was the first Board of Health established in the province and one of its first acts was to appoint a visiting superintendent and a visiting physician for the Quarantine Station on Partridge Island (located in the Saint John harbour). It was also the first Board to appoint a Medical Health Officer (part-time) with special qualifications in 1911. The Saint John Board of Health was the first municipal health department to hire full-time public health nurses, in 1919 (school and tuberculosis). The first free dental clinics for underprivileged children were established in June 1923. The first compulsory pasteurization of milk occurred on 15 September 1947 in Saint John city and the parish of Lancaster, now west Saint John.
In the mid-1950s, the Saint John Board of Health was a sub-district of a larger Health District in the province. The Board of Health was made up of local citizens, its composition and duties governed by the Health Act. In 1955, the Board of Health consisted of the District Medical Health officer, Dr. Frank Hazen, who was also the ex-officio chairman of the Board, and eight members; Irene Molloy, Thomas MacLeod, Fred McIntyre, William Macaulay, Dr. Percival L. Bonnell, Archie W. Rickard, Dr. R.G. MacDonald and Albert A. Vincent.
In 1955, the Board of Health was divided into 4 divisions. Vital statistics registered all deaths, births, and marriages in the City of Saint John and the parishes of Simonds and Musquash. The infant, preschool, and school division was responsible for various clinics, including those in Children's Aid shelters and orphanages, inoculations and vaccinations in schools, public health nurse, home visits, school visits, hearing rests and free dental clinics for underprivileged children. The food and dairy division regulated dairy farms, pasteurization plants and grocery and butcher shops. The sanitary division approved all plumbing plans, checked on reported cases of notifiable disease and inspected hotels, restaurants, bake shops and other premises for unsanitary conditions.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of the records of the Board of Health. Correspondence consists of letters pertaining to health matters such as milk and water testing, government regulations, and citizen inquiries. Ephemera includes a brochure commemorating the Board of Health centennial, 1855-1955; provincial regulations for hotels (1918), the duties of officers in health districts and sub districts (1928) and copy of a bill to amend the Health Act.
There is a report to the housing commission with recommendations. The petition addressed to the chairman and members of the Board of Health concerns the Carritte Fertilizer Manufacturing Plant located on the Red Head Road and the offensive odour emanating from it. Legal documents include agreements for services and leases.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material