Fonds ID417 - Saint John Art Club

Title proper

Saint John Art Club

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents.

Level of description


Reference code


Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)


  • 1908-1996 (Creation)
    Saint John Art Club

Physical description

70 cm of textual records

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Name of creator

(Started [189-])

Administrative history

The Saint John Branch of the Women's Art Association of Canada began in the late 1890s in Saint John, New Brunswick. The members decided to form an independent association that included both men and women and as a result, the Saint John Art Club was formed on 12 November 1908. The new club's constitution stated the main object of the club was to be "The general advancement of fine arts and the promotion and facilitating of greater knowledge and love of art on the part of the public generally." It was also to provide art instruction for a fee by lecturers and teachers who would be paid for this work.

From its inception, the Saint John Art Club began acquiring objets d'art and paintings by well known Canadian, British and American artists. The artworks were either purchased with club funds or were donated by members. In 1914, there was a paid-up membership of between 200 and 300 people, many of whom had valuable collections of paintings.

The Saint John Art Club gathered paintings from individuals and societies both in New Brunswick and other provinces to make up exhibitions for their own enjoyment. These were hung at the studio on Peel Street, at the Art Club art school in the City Market building or at the Church of England Institute. They also hung travelling exhibitions from the National Gallery of Canada. The exhibitions were open to members and art students. In 1912, the Saint John Exhibition Association approached the Art Club to assist with creating an Art Department at the annual fall fair in Saint John.

The Art Club held regular monthly meetings and organized public lectures. The Club also was very involved in children's education in art. In 1944 and 1945, the Saint John Art Club advocated creative art as a subject in public schools and the following year, the first of several local children's art exhibitions was held. The Art Club proposed lending some of their pictures to school classes for instructional purposes. Children's art classes were held in the summer in a room at the Saint John Public Library and their work was shown in an exhibit at the local department store in 1955.

In 1949, their exhibition, 'Painters For Fun' for local amateur artists proved to be very popular and brought many new members into the Club. The Saint John Art Club, the oldest continuing art club in Canada, is still in existence. The club operates two galleries, one at Market Square in central Saint John and another in Parkway Mall in the eastern part of the city. The club offers instruction to both children and adults.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of the administrative records and correspondence of the club. There are regular, executive and annual minutes which include the names of the officers, some financial statements and considerable information on exhibitions and art classes given at the Art Club art school. The instructors names, and membership rolls of art classes are included. There are also lists of paintings owned by the club with titles, artists' names, and location.

The cashbook, ledger, and account book provide details of the finances of the Art Club. The Treasurer's book provides information on the paid up members of the club and includes many addresses.

There is correspondence with other art groups such as the Maritime Art Association, mainly about organizing exhibitions. There is a letterbook which contains outgoing letters, mostly about routine business matters such as the ordering of supplies.

There are scrapbooks of newsclippings dealing mainly with Art Club activities, meetings, and art exhibits. There are also clippings about art in general, and articles about exhibits from all over the world. A few obituaries of artists and Art Club members are also included.

There is also a group of miscellaneous writings which includes some biographical sketches of Saint John artists such as Jack Humphrey, Violet Gillett and Julia Crawford.

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Donated by the Saint John Art Club 1957, 1960, 1968, 1977, and [1997]


Arrangement and description at the series and lower levels are currently incomplete

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials


Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres