Rothesay Collegiate School
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title is based on the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
CA PANB MC401
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Rothesay Collegiate School (Rothesay, N.B.)
60 cm of textual records and 2 reels of microfilm
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
The Rothesay Collegiate School, also known as Rothesay College and the Rothesay Church School for Boys, can trace its roots to an independent school, opened by William Thompson in Rothesay, New Brunswick on 6 August 1877. Located in Whelpley Hall near the Rothesay train station, Thompson's School taught both male and female scholars from Saint John and Rothesay. In 1878 it relocated to the current site of the Rothesay Medical Clinic.
In 1891 James F. Robertson, the son of the Reverend Thomas Williams Robertson, reorganized the institution as an Anglican residential school for boys. Rothesay Collegiate School then moved to its present campus on College Hill, where Robertson had purchased two large houses, known as "North House" and "South House," and approximately 240 acres of land. The Rothesay Collegiate School underwent other changes over the next several decades. About 1907 the Diocesan Synod purchased RCS from Mr. Robertson and the Reverend W. R. Hibbard was appointed headmaster. A chapel was constructed in 1923 and a new schoolhouse in 1930. Additional new facilities were built between 1938 and 1967: Mackay House (1939), the Memorial Rink (1950), the Hibbard Arts and Science Building (1966), and Quinn House (1967).
Rothesay Collegiate was officially incorporated by provincial statute in 1930. The management of the school altered in 1963, when the Diocese of Fredericton turned the school over to an independent Board of Governors. In 1972 RCS became affiliated with the Netherwood School for Girls, which had been established in 1894 and was located nearby. Twelve years later a co-educational school was established on the Rothesay Collegiate campus. RCS Netherwood is still functioning in 2001.
Source: Rothesay -- An Illustrated History 1784-1920, by Robert Hook, Ann Condon, Charles Grant, 1984
Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of administrative and printed records of the Rothesay Collegiate School, now known as RCS Netherwood.
There are five student registers, covering the years 1891-1978, as well as issues of the school's magazine, "Blue and White," for most years between 1906-1981. Also include are photocopies of the Reverend W. R. Hibbard's and William Thompson's correspondence pertaining to the history of the school. The student registers are available on microfilm.
Immediate source of acquisition
The photocopied correspondence and newspapers were donated to the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick by Dr. Bryan Savage, of the Rothesay Collegiate School, in 1982. The school registers were lent to PANB by Dr. Savage for microfilming at the same time.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Microfilm nos. F8819 and F8820 (school registers).
Restrictions on access
Access to photocopies of the Reverend W. R. Hibbard's and William Thompson's correspondence is restricted. Researchers must obtain permission to view these records from the Headmaster of RCS Netherwood.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
A brief inventory is available.
The Provincial Archives of New Brunswick houses a collection of Netherwood School photographs (P198). A few records pertaining to Rothesay Collegiate, notably copies of closing programmes, are located in MC300 York-Sunbury Historical Society collection MS80/6.