Rotary Club of Fredericton
General material designation
- Textual record
- Sound recording
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
CA PANB MC238
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Rotary Club of Fredericton
1.8 m of textual records
1 audio cassette tape
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
Rotary International, the first international service club, was founded 23 February 1905 by Paul P. Harris, of Chicago, Illinois. Drawing its members from the ranks of business and professional leaders, the association seeks to provide humanitarian service, to promote high ethical standards in all vocations, and to build good will and peace throughout the world. Initially operating under the name Rotary, the association was renamed National Association of Rotary Clubs in August 1910. Following the formation of clubs in Canada and Great Britain, the name was changed to International Association of Rotary Clubs in 1912 and shortened to Rotary International in 1922.
The Fredericton Rotary Club was organized in April 1922 at the Imperial Restaurant with Mayor J. A. Reed presiding. It received a charter in June of that year as club no. 1199. Over the years, Fredericton Rotarians have raised money in support of physically disabled children, relief projects, charitable organizations (Salvation Army, Red Cross, Victorian Order of Nurses), and summer camps for children through the annual Rotary Radio Auction and other fundraising activities. In 1955 the Fredericton Club was incorporated by letters patent as Rotary Club of Fredericton, N.B. Inc. The original incorporators included Ralph St. J. Freeze, William J. West, H. Lester Smith, Clifford W. Vail, Harold H. Pickard, John Kilburn, A. M. Addington, Herbert H. Gunter, R. E. Tweeddale, Percy G. Thompson, and P. O. Beaton. In 2001 the club continues to serve the city of Fredericton and surrounding area.
Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.
Scope and content
This fonds contains the administrative and financial records of the Fredericton Rotary Club, dating from the first decade of its existence. It consists of general correspondence, correspondence pertaining to the annual Rotary auction, notices of meeting, minutes of meeting, financial reports, a copy of the constitution, notes on the history of the club and its members, programmes, pamphlets, press clippings, and copies of speeches.
Also included are copies of Rotary magazines and Rotary song books as well as information pertaining to conventions, conferences, Rotary scholarships, Christmas parties for visiting students, and to the camp for physically disabled children.
There are also several commemorative plaques, an audio cassette tape recording information on the Adventures in Citizenship programme (1978), and photographs of the club's first meeting place, of the Rotary camp, and of activities associated with the annual Rotary auction (P496).
Immediate source of acquisition
Bulk of the records donated to the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick by the Fredericton Rotary Club between 1970 and 1988. A plaque commemorating the club's Golden Anniversary, 1 June 1942, was donated by Harry Hagerman, of Fredericton, N.B., on 12 April 1973.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
An inventory is available.