General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Robertson (family)
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
Charles and Mary MacPherson Robertson emigrated from Scotland to Saint John on the ship "Roseanna" in 1803 with two sons. In 1806, Charles (1770-ca. 1849) and Mary MacPherson (ca. 1770-1833) acquired a land grant in Hampton parish and settled in Smithtown-Titusville. All nine of their children lived in the vicinity of their parents' farm in Hampton parish.
John Campbell Robertson (ca. 1798-1872) and Eunice White (17?-1876), of Fredericton, were married ca. 1822. They had six children, five of whom resided on or near the family farm. Their son, James William Robertson (1823-1876), moved to New Zealand and there married Mary McBride. He became caught up in the gold rush which helped finance saw and flour mills. He became mayor of Queenstown.
James Robertson (ca. 1800-18?) married Esther Rogers of Upham, New Brunswick, and moved to Aylmer, Upper Canada (ca. 1830). Their son, Samuel (ca. 1830-1886), moved to several places in Ontario and to Ohio before returning to Huron County. He married a local girl in 1867 and settled in Dingle township. Most of James and Esther's family settled in Ontario and the United States.
Charles Alexander Robertson [18?]-[187?] married Agnes McDiarmid and had six children. Five of their daughters married local men. The youngest daughter, Margaret, married James McDiarmid, brother of Agnes.
John Campbell Robertson was in partnership with John Smullen in the lumber industry. John Campbell Robertson and James Robertson were in partnership with a Saint John merchant dealing in cedar shingles. Brothers John, Jr., and Alexander Robertson operated a sawmill to supplement their farming. Charles and Alexander Robertson cut and sold cord wood. Thomas Robertson (1841-1901) remained in the family household and took it over from his father.
Sources: Wynn, Graeme, Journal of the Royal Australian Historical Society, March 1979; Wynn, Graeme, The historical geography of a colonial family
Scope and content
This fonds consists of personal correspondence, 1823-1957, business papers, genealogical records, diaries, clippings, school material, hymns, and ephemera. There are clippings of articles by James W. Robertson from Queenstown, New Zealand newspapers, ca. 1866.
The school material, ca. 1815-ca. 1830, includes the work of 3 generations of the Robertson family, teacher's account with pupils and reminiscences. There are also handwritten hymns and a pre-1967 circular of the Free Church of Nova Scotia.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material