Anglican Parish of St. Andrews fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA CCA MC617
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- All Saints Anglican Church
- St. Andrews
2 cm textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
It was British policy in the 18th century to support every colony with the establishment of a Church of England. The government agency responsible for this policy was called The Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts (SPG).
Rev. Dr. Samuel Cooke was sent by the SPG to Saint John, NB in 1785. Rev. Cooke visited St. Andrews and described the Town as, “…a regularly laid out town of 200 houses with a good safe harbour and fine country around it”. With financial support from the SPG, the Church of St. Andrews was constructed on Church Lane in the Town of St. Andrews.
In 1788 the Church opened its doors to all denominations as a place of worship. The first resident clergyman, Rev Samuel Andrews, served the community between 1786 and 1818. By 1821 with the support of Rev. Cooke, the Church of St. Andrews vestry acquired 1,591.5 acres of glebe land of which 57.75 acres were town lots.
Although the Presbyterians withdrew in 1819, the Church continued to serve the broader Christian community until 1826. The SPG replacement for Rev. Andrews was Dr. Jerome Alley, who served the Parish from 1819 until 1858. During his 39 year tenure, the Church of St. Andrews was re-consecrated All Saints Church in 1826. Additionally, Dr. Alley was responsible for the construction of the Chapel of Ease of Saint John the Baptist in Chamcook, N.B. The Chapel was consecrated by Bishop Medley of Fredericton July 16, 1846 and continues to serve the Parish to this day. By the end of Dr. Alley’s ministry in 1858 the SPG had withdrawn grants from foreign parts and the Church began to rely on income from pew rental, contributions from parishioners, and profits from glebe rentals.
In 1867 a new church was constructed on King Street under the supervision of Rev. W. Q. Ketchum, who served as rector until 1901. The church was originally designed to be constructed of stone but Walter Mansfield Buck, Chief Engineer of the New Brunsick & Canada Railway, revised the plans and proposed a wooden framed building after it became apparent that the Parish could not afford a stone building.
The current minister is the venerable Archdeacon Rev. John Matheson.
Donated to the Charlotte County Archives by Rev. John Matheson on January 28, 2004
Scope and content
Copies made of Anglican Church records for Charlotte County at PANB. Copies include: Licence of occupation to the Corporation of Saint Andrews Church to parts of St. Andrews Island; several deeds of consecration including; All Saints Church 1867, St. Andrews Rural Cemetery 1867 & 1886; Churchyard, St. Andrews; Christ Church St. Stephen 1864; 2nd St. Peter's Church 1948, Milltown; St. Stephen Rural Cemetery 1860; St. David's Church Oak Bay 1856; St. David's Church, Bay Rd. 1886; Church of the Ascension, Tower Hill 1889; Letter re Canon Ketchum's health 1901; deed to St. David's Church; Record Book, Christ Church, St. Stephen, NB; Deed form William Garcelon to St. David Church and cemetery, 1854.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated by Rev. John Matheson on January 28, 2004
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Charlotte County Archives 1E1
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Accession No. 2004.011
Subject access points
Name access points
- All Saints Anglican Church (Subject)