R. Chestnut and Sons
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Attributions and conjectures: Title based on contents of the collection
Level of description
CA PANB MC15
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
1884, 1896, 1922 (Creation)
- R. Chestnut and Sons (Fredericton, N.B.)
4 pp. of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
The Chestnut Hardware store was in operation for nearly 90 years. Robert Chestnut (1764-1846) and his wife Margaret McPherson came to Fredericton from County Antrim, Ireland in 1834. By 1836 Robert had opened a store there, was agent for the Albion Works, and a director of the Bank of Fredericton. His son Robert (1797-1859) reorganized and incorporated the firm as R. Chestnut and Sons in November 1858, less than a year before he died.
Robert, Jr.'s wife, Margaret Anthony Chestnut, and her sons, Henry and Enoch, were left to oversee the business. R. Chestnut and Sons, located in Phoenix Square on Queen Street in 1884, sold imported hardware, butlery, silver and other goods. In 1909 Henry's son, Harry G., took over and ran the business until it was closed in 1924. Harry Chestnut was also president to the Chestnut Canoe Company in Fredericton.
Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.
Scope and content
This collection contains an invoice to Taylor and Thompson from R. Chestnut and Sons dated 1884. On the reverse is a detailed description with specifications for a new river steamship, dated 14 November 1896, which George F. Baird planned to build for the Star line. There is also a 3-page account for the estate of Herbert Morgan dated 1922.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated to the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick by Dr. George Macbeath, of Fredericton, N.B., in 1969.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
An inventory is available.
The Provincial Archives of New Brunswick also holds MC248 Albion Works fonds, MC60 Bank of Fredericton fonds, and MC656 Chestnut Canoe Co. fonds.