Fonds MC15 - R. Chestnut and Sons

Title proper

R. Chestnut and Sons

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Attributions and conjectures: Title based on contents of the collection

Level of description


Reference code


Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)


  • 1884, 1896, 1922 (Creation)
    R. Chestnut and Sons (Fredericton, N.B.)

Physical description

4 pp. of textual records

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Name of creator

(Established by 1836, incorporated in 1858, closed in 1924)

Administrative history

The Chestnut Hardware store was in operation for nearly 90 years. Robert Chestnut (1764-1846) and his wife Margaret McPherson came to Fredericton from County Antrim, Ireland in 1834. By 1836 Robert had opened a store there, was agent for the Albion Works, and a director of the Bank of Fredericton. His son Robert (1797-1859) reorganized and incorporated the firm as R. Chestnut and Sons in November 1858, less than a year before he died.

Robert, Jr.'s wife, Margaret Anthony Chestnut, and her sons, Henry and Enoch, were left to oversee the business. R. Chestnut and Sons, located in Phoenix Square on Queen Street in 1884, sold imported hardware, butlery, silver and other goods. In 1909 Henry's son, Harry G. took over and ran the business until it was closed in 1924. Harry Chestnut was also president to the Chestnut Canoe Company in Fredericton

Custodial history

Scope and content

This collection contains an invoice to Taylor and Thompson from R. Chestnut and Sons dated 1884. On the reverse is a detailed description with specifications for a new river steamship, dated 14 November 1896, which George F. Baird planned to build for the Star line. There is also a 3-page account for the estate of Herbert Morgan dated 1922.

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Donated to the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick by Dr. George Macbeath, of Fredericton, N.B., in 1969.


Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

An inventory is available.

Associated materials

The Provincial Archives of New Brunswick also holds MC248 Albion Works fonds, MC60 Bank of Fredericton fonds, and MC656 Chestnut Canoe Co. fonds.

Related materials


Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres