Fonds 09.01.00 - Queen's Rangers

Title proper

Queen's Rangers

General material designation

  • Graphic material
  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Museum created

Level of description

Fonds

Repository

Reference code

CA HM 09.01.00

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Date(s)

  • 1775-1847 (Creation)
    Creator
    8th Regiment of Cavalry

Physical description

32 photocopied photographs, 111 pages of textual records , 1 photograph, 1 poster

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Name of creator

(1848-1914)

Administrative history

The 8th Canadian Hussars was formed on April 4th, 1848 as the New Brunswick Regiment of Yeomanry Cavalry, from eleven independent troops of Cavalry. The first of these was raised in 1825 from descendants of the Loyalists who settled the St. John and Kennebecasis river valleys.

Custodial history

Gary Bowser

Scope and content

Fonds consists of Photographs of officers and listing of The N.B. Loyalists . 22 photographs and reproductions of officers and personnel in period uniform. A brief one page history of The Queen's Rangers from 1778-1783. Approximately 100 pages of a list that shows the names of heads of families or single men of 18 years of age and upwards, their former homes, their service during the Revolution, their first grants, their subsequent grants and/or place of residence. The Battles of Monmouth, Germantown and Brandywine 1777; Spencer's Ordinary 1781 and the Cowpens . Also included is 5" x 7" photocopy of a recruiting poster for the Queen's Rangers , and one (8.5 " x 11") photocopy of the Colours of the Rangers. The original is in the Public Library in Toronto. Materials on history of the cavalry trooper's sword, including photo of the same. A Photocopy from the book by Colonel David M. Stewart " The Queen's York Rangers.". A listing of NB Loyalists, numerous photocopies from different publications concerning the Queen's Rangers and a photocopy of the pamphlet issued in connection with the presentation of the colours to the Public Library of Toronto.

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Box - 1

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aid

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

The earliest beginnings of the 8th Hussars has been traced back to a regiment formed in 1775 in Virginia by Col. John Saunders during the American Revolution. He raised a troop of cavalry, at his own expense , which was part of the Queen’s Loyal Virginia Regiment. Saunders and his men fought their first battle at Great Bridge, North Carolina. In 1776 they merged with the Queen's Rangers. The Queen’s Rangers fought as scouts, as guerrillas, as cavalry and as infantry. A self-contained unit, they had riflemen, grenadiers, artillery and cavalry in their ranks. They killed or captured twice as many men as they lost. Until the British surrender at Yorktown, Virginia, in October 1781, they had never known defeat. John Saunders was a captain in the Queen’s Rangers and was twice wounded in action. After the war was over John Saunders sailed to England. The Regiment was offered the opportunity of settling in Nova Scotia. The regiment as an entity sailed for Nova Scotia in September, 1783, and reached Saint John (then Parr Town) on the 27th of that month. They settled in the St. John and Kennebecasis river valleys. John Saunders came to New Brunswick 7 years after the Loyalist landings of 1783. He came out from London to be a Justice of the Supreme Court of the province. Two of his descendants lived on a noble hill in the Kennebecasis Valley. (Fox Hill). His grandson, Lt-Col John Saunders became the father of the Regiment and started their training at his home near Apohaqui. Saunders’ great-grandson, Lt. Col. H Montgomery Campbell took over command of the regiment in 1899. Col. John Saunders is buried in Fredericton.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres