Queens Own Lodge No. 96, British Order of Good Templars
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA PANB MC232
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
1857-1933, predominant 1866-1889 (Creation)
- British Order of Good Templars. Queens Own Lodge No. 96 (Cambridge Narrows, N.B.)
8 cm of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
The temperance movement began in the early nineteenth century by encouraging moderation in the use of alcohol. By the middle of the nineteenth century, many temperance societies advocated total abstinence and the prohibition of the sale of alcohol. Support for the movement were strong in Protestant and anglophone areas of New Brunswick.
Queens Own Lodge No. 96 of the British Order of Good Templars, was formed at Cambridge, Queens County in 1866 and remained active until at least 1881. It must have become inactive for several years, because in 1886 it was reorganized as the Queens Own Lodge, No. 184 of the Independent Order of Good Templars, an American group which had begun in Utica, New York in 1851. The Order was a fraternal organization with secret rituals and initiations similar to other lodge organizations.
From the very beginning the Queens Own Lodge included both men and women. Five of the 13 executive members elected at the first meeting in 1866 were women. Although interest in temperance societies declined steeply after 1890, the Queens Own Lodge appears to have been active until at least 1933.
This fonds came to the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick at the same time as Queens County Prohibitionary Alliance fonds.
Scope and content
The fonds contains the minute book of Queens Own Lodge No. 96 Order of Good Templars from 1866 to 1881 and the minute book of Queens Own Lodge No. 184 from 1886 to 1889. Minutes record installation and expulsion of members, and sometimes note the talks and social activities following the meeting.
There is a financial secretary's ledger (1930-1933) which records the payment of dues by individual members. There are some loose financial records, an undated charter of the lodge, and the script of a short temperance play or skit. There are also 2 rule books, the "Blue book for the use of subordinate divisions of the order of the Sons of Temperance", 1857 and "Ritual for the subordinate lodges of the Independent Order of Good Templars", 1894.
Immediate source of acquisition
The fonds was donated to the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick in 1978 and 1982 by Mr. Fred Corcoran of Cambridge, New Brunswick.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
An inventory is available.