General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Pythian Sisters, Loyalist Temple No. 13
- Saint John
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
The Pythian Sisters were founded in 1904 as an auxiliary order of the Knights of Pythias. The Knights are a non-sectarian and non-racist fraternal organization founded in Washington, D.C., in 1864.
During the fall and the winter of 1920-1921 a group of ladies from Saint John, New Brunswick, headed by Bessie Green and Edith Watters started the proceedings to establish a Pythian Sisters temple. In 1921 a charter was granted and 166 sisters joined (wives, mothers, sisters of Knights of Pythias). The organization was to promote the "moral, mental, social and physical elevation of the members; cultivating a spirit of fraternal love which would permeate and control their daily lives, ministering to the wants of the sick and needy, and daily exemplifying in every possible way, the Golden Rule". (History of the Loyalist Temple by Marjorie Hazen, 1981, page 2).
The Pythian Sisters assisted needy families and gave to charitable organizations such as the Protestant Orphanage. To raise funds they had dinners, teas, rummage sales and sold tickets on crafts.
Scope and content
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material