Forme autorisée du nom
Forme(s) parallèle(s) du nom
Forme(s) du nom normalisée(s) selon d'autres conventions
Autre(s) forme(s) du nom
Numéro d'immatriculation des collectivités
Zone de description
The first provincial lunatic asylum in Saint John, New Brunswick, was a temporary facility in a building on Leinster street. The first superintendent was Dr. George R. Peters. In 1848, land was bought from the city and a new hospital was erected and the old one converted back to a cholera hospital. Matthew Stead was the architect for the new building on Lancaster Avenue. Dr. Waddell took over from Dr. Peters when the new facilities were opened. Dr. James Steeves was the third superintendent, appointed in 1875. With his death in 1896, Dr. George A. Hetherington was appointed.
In 1890 the capacity of the main hospital was 320 and the annex or farm could house 150 patients. In 1891, there were 455 inmates at the hospital. In 1903 the name was changed to the Provincial Hospital. During the years from 1904-1934, the hospital grew and sometimes had as many as 1500 patients.
In 1978, the Provincial Hospital was incorporated under the name of Centracare, with management of the institution transferred to a Board of Trustees.
Medicine in New Brunswick, 1974;
Health Care in New Brunswick, 1984