General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Provincial Lunatic Asylum
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
The first provincial lunatic asylum in Saint John, New Brunswick, was a temporary facility in a building on Leinster street. The first superintendent was Dr. George R. Peters. In 1848, land was bought from the city and a new hospital was erected and the old one converted back to a cholera hospital. Matthew Stead was the architect for the new building on Lancaster Avenue. Dr. Waddell took over from Dr. Peters when the new facilities were opened. Dr. James Steeves was the third superintendent, appointed in 1875. With his death in 1896, Dr. George A. Hetherington was appointed.
In 1890 the capacity of the main hospital was 320 and the annex or farm could house 150 patients. In 1891, there were 455 inmates at the hospital. In 1903 the name was changed to the Provincial Hospital. During the years from 1904-1934, the hospital grew and sometimes had as many as 1500 patients.
In 1978, the Provincial Hospital was incorporated under the name of Centracare, with management of the institution transferred to a Board of Trustees.
Medicine in New Brunswick, 1974;
Health Care in New Brunswick, 1984
Scope and content
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material