Fonds ID81 - Provincial Lunatic Asylum

Title proper

Provincial Lunatic Asylum

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA MNBM ID81

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Date(s)

  • 1890-1898 (Creation)
    Creator
    Provincial Lunatic Asylum

Physical description

3 cm of textual records

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Name of creator

(Established before 1848)

Administrative history

The first provincial lunatic asylum in Saint John, New Brunswick, was a temporary facility in a building on Leinster street. The first superintendent was Dr. George R. Peters. In 1848, land was bought from the city and a new hospital was erected and the old one converted back to a cholera hospital. Matthew Stead was the architect for the new building on Lancaster Avenue. Dr. Waddell took over from Dr. Peters when the new facilities were opened. Dr. James Steeves was the third superintendent, appointed in 1875. With his death in 1896, Dr. George A. Hetherington was appointed.

In 1890 the capacity of the main hospital was 320 and the annex or farm could house 150 patients. In 1891, there were 455 inmates at the hospital. In 1903 the name was changed to the Provincial Hospital. During the years from 1904-1934, the hospital grew and sometimes had as many as 1500 patients.

In 1978, the Provincial Hospital was incorporated under the name of Centracare, with management of the institution transferred to a Board of Trustees.

Sources:
Medicine in New Brunswick, 1974;
Health Care in New Brunswick, 1984

Custodial history

Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.

Scope and content

This fonds consists of an account book for the Provincial Lunatic Asylum, 1890-1898

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Purchased, 1983

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Physical description

One volume

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area