Pickard Loyal Orange Lodge #40
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Attributions and conjectures: Title based on contents of the fonds
Level of description
CA PANB MC22
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Orange Lodge. Pickard Loyal Orange Lodge #40 (St. Marys, N.B.)
2 cm of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
The Orange Order was a fraternal Protestant organization, founded in Ireland in 1795. Intended as a society to protect the interests of Irishmen loyal to the British crown and to "expand the honour of the Sovereign", it soon spread to the colonies of the British Empire. The Grand Lodge of British North America was founded in Brockville, Upper Canada (present-day Ontario) in 1830. The lodges provided mutual aid and support for members and organized social events. Membership also ensured a level of political support from the Order, especially in political action against Catholic and French Canadian minorities.
Most provinces played host to the Order, and New Brunswick was no exception. Lodge No. 40 of the Grand Lodge of British North America was located at St. Marys (later part of the city of Fredericton). The Pickard Loyal Orange Lodge or Royal Blue Lodge held its first meeting on 1 February 1875. The popularity of the Orange Order reached its height in the early 20th century.
Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of minutes, membership records, and financial records of the Pickard Loyal Orange Lodge No. 40. It also includes correspondence with an Orange Lodge located in Bellville, Ontario.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated to the Provincal Archives of New Brunswick by Richard Blair, of Marysville, N.B., in 1969.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
An inventory is available.