Series 09.07.02 - Photographs

Original Digital object not accessible

Title proper

Photographs

General material designation

  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Museum Created

Level of description

Series

Repository

Reference code

CA HM 09.07.00-09.07.02

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Date(s)

  • 1902-1936, 1948-1999 (Creation)
    Creator
    Camp Sussex

Physical description

5.5 cm photos

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Name of creator

(1880-1978)

Administrative history

Between 1868 to 1876, John Saunders trained his men at his home in Fox Hill. Camps were held there every other year. In 1881 stables were build on the grounds which were to become Camp Sussex. In 1883 the officers built a home. It was called the Cavalry Club House and became the first officer?s mess. In 1893 the Federal government purchased the grounds outright and created a permanent military camp. In that year there was a large camp held with both the Infantry and Cavalry participating.In 1936 they became a motorized cavalry unit. In 1937 a mechanized cavalry unit and in 1938 they became a divisional cavalry unit. In 1940 they switched to motorcycles and became the 4th Canadian Motorcycle Regiment. In Janualry of that year they were given the order to mobilize and 415 men trained in Sussex that year. In March 1941, they became the 5th Armoured Regiment and were sent to Camp Borden, in Ontario to train. Later they went to Debert, Nova Scotia and then went overseas in November 1941. In 1946 the Regiment came home. The train arrived in Sussex on January 27, 1946. The 8th Hussars were back at summer camp that August for the first time since 1940. During the 1950?s training became more concentrated. Twice a year the Regiment conducted concentrated courses to top off their local training. These courses included skills in trades such as driving and maintenance, wireless and gunnery. In the late 1950?s changes were made. The Regiment was moved to CFB Gagetown and Camp Sussex as such was no more. There are still some Militia and Cadets here.

Custodial history

unknown
Gwen Black
Mrs. J L Du Brevil
Keltie Kennedy
Bob Estabrooks
Gary Bowser

Scope and content

Series consists of 5.5 cm of original photographs taken at Camp Sussex . Some of these photographs are labeled with names and dates. 9 sleeves of photographs taken at Camp Sussex 1940-1941. Also included is a photograph of Ken Seward holding Barbara Jardine, he is a British airmen training in Camp Sussex 1942

Physical condition

Good

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Box - 20

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Generated finding aid

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres