General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Continuation of title: Museum Created
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- 8th Princess Louise (NB) Hussars
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
The 8th Princess Louise (NB) Hussars or 8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise's) can trace its roots to 4 April 1848, when the New Brunswick Regiment of Yoemanry Calvary was formed. A more tenuous link exists, however, to 1775, when Lieutenant-Colonel John Saunders formed "Saunders Horse" to fight American rebels during the American Revolutionary War. This troop was probably disbanded in New Brunswick about 1783, the year that thousands of Loyalists or Americans who supported the British side during the revolution sailed for Nova Scotia. Many settled in the St. John River and Kennebecasis River valleys and elsewhere. In 1825, from among these disbanded troops, calvary units were formed, one being attached to each local infantry battalion. By 1848, 11 of these units joined together to form the New Brunswick Regiment of Yeomanry Cavalry. Over subsequent years the troops were reorganized several times.
In 1884, Govenor General John Campbell's wife, Princess Louise, the eldest daughter of Queen Victoria, honoured the Regiment with her name, and it became the 8th Princess Louise's New Brunswick Regiment of Cavalry. The name changed, in 1892, to 8th Prince Louise's New Brunswick Hussars. During the World War I, the Hussars did not serve officially overseas. Instead, a Hussars squardron was supplied to the 6th Canadian Mounted Rifles and many individual members of the regiment joined other Canadian units serving overseas.
During World War II, the Hussars served overseas as a formed unit, being stationed first in England, then North Africa, and finally in Italy. In 1940, the Hussars were formed into the 4th Canadian Motorcycle Regiment. The regiment moved from France to Belgium in 1945, and lastly to Holland where, at Delfziji, approximately 3,000 Axis troops surrendered to them.
Returning to Canada, the 8th Princess Louise's New Brunswick Hussars reverted to reserve status. In the early 1950s, the regiment contributed men to "Y" troop, the special force that Canada sent to Korea, in 1951, to serve as part of NATO's brigade in Germany. In 1957, formation of the Regular Regiment bought a change in name, the regular regiment being designated the 8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise) and the Militia Regiment taking the same title with the word "militia" being added. The following year, the regiment's Reconnaissance Squadron left Canada to serve with the UN Expeditionary Force in Suez where it remained for a year. The regular regiment is now stationed at Camp Petawawa. Ontario. The militia remains in New Brunswick.
After WWII, the 8th Princess Louise's reverted to a reserve regiment. In 1950, a number of personnel were provided to the Special Force which proceeded to Korea in May 1951. Early in 1957, when it was decided that a new regular armoured regiment should be formed, the honour was bestowed upon the 8th Princess Louise's NB Hussars as a result of their outstanding previous history. In 1958, part of the Regiment left Canada to serve with the United Nations Emergency Force in the Gaza Strip where it remained for a year. In 1959 the Hussars sailed to Germany for a three year tour of duty with the 4th Canadian Infantry Brigade. In 1963, when they returned from Germany, the Regiment took up residence in CFB Petawawa, and the Militia (Reserve) Regiment stayed at its home station in Moncton, New Brunswick. In 1964 the Hussars left the tanks and converted to a reconnaissance regiment.
Scope and content
File consists of a very large scrap book. which includes Newspaper clippings and Photographs.
Listed below is was is found in the scrapbook.
Large Blue Scrapbook 1: 1957-1962
Report on the militia for New Brunswick 1867
Documents from the formation of the Regular Regiment
Documents and newspaper clippings peacekeeping operations in the Middle East
Photographs from the Middle East deployment
Photographs of the opening of the NB Legislature in 1958
Various newspaper clippings from the regular regiment
Newspaper clippings from the opening of CFB Gagetown
Letters from Middle East Deployment
Programs for various events
Newspaper clippings of military sporting events
Photographs of military sporting events and their winners
Various photographs of regular regiment personnel
Various photographs of regular regiment, training, maneuvers, new equipment, etc.
Newspaper clippings of 8th Hussars Reunion
Public Relations story of Major McLeod and his desert fox
Photographs of regimental social events
Photographs of 8th Hussars deployment to Germany in the Cold War
Newspaper articles of 8th Hussars deployment to Germany
Various photographs of change of command ceremonies
Photos and clippings of public relations of the regiment in Germany
Documents and letters concerning the alignment of the 8th Hussars with the Queen’s Royal Irish Hussars
Photos of training in CFB Gagetown
Photos of 8th Hussars soldiers with West German soldiers
Inspection tour photos
Photos of the funeral of Maj-Gen F.F. Worthington in December 1967
Various photos of leisure activities of the regular regiment
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Located RHQ Moncton on shelf -