General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Newcastle Pastoral Charge
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
Newcastle Pastoral Charge is comprised of two churches in the Miramichi City area, Northumberland County, New Brunswick: Maple Glen and Newcastle (St. James and St. John). The present St. James and St. John United Church had its origins in the individual churches of the Presbyterian and Methodist denominations, both of which have long roots in the Miramichi.
In 1925, the United Church of Canada was formed from the union of the Presbyterian, Methodist and Congregational Churches. The congregations of St. John Methodist Church and St. James Presbyterian Church assented (the latter albeit reluctantly, with many members refusing to join the new church) to participate in this union. In 1929, those communicants, pewholders and adherents of St. James Church who had not agreed to Church Union appealed to the Supreme Court of New Brunswick, objecting to the method of voting on union and attempting to retain the church building. The Court ruled against these "non-concurrents" and it was only at this time that the two congregations became one, the St. James and St. John United church. The former Presbyterian Church became the home of this congregation. A Casavant Freres organ was given to the church in 1919 by Lord Beaverbrook in memory of his father, the Rev. William Aitken, and the bells in the steeple were also given by Beaverbrook in 1945.
Maple Glen has been part of the Newcastle Pastoral Charge since 1925.
The church is surrounded by St. James Cemetery and has been declared a national historic site as it is the burial place of the Honourable Peter Mitchell, Father of Confederation. A fire in 1961 destroyed the hall and caused water damage to registers of marriage, baptism and burials. A new building was opened May 1963.
Scope and content
Newcastle Pastoral Charge records
St. James Presbyterian Church records
St. James United Church records
St. John Methodist Church records
St. John United Church records