Fonds MS124 - Morrison Family Fonds

Title proper

Morrison Family Fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA FRM MS124

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Date(s)

  • 1820 - 1941 (Creation)
    Creator
    Morrison (family)

Physical description

Textual and photographic material

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Name of creator

(1820-1941)

Biographical history

John A. Morrison (c 1820 – 28 May 1893) and his brother William emigrated from Belfast Ireland to St. John, New Brunswick in Sep 1843 and very shortly opened a Dry Goods Store. The business propered and John married Lucy Ann Everett (1823 – 11 July 1893), daughter of Thomas Carleton and Mary (Camber) Everett on 16 Dec 1846. Although initially expanding the business failed in 1859 and John purchased a mill and property from George Morisey in Fredericton and the family moved here in May 1860. The family consisted of five boys: Thomas “Tom” Everett (1852-), William “Willie” Parks (1854), John “Jack” Alexander (1856 – 22 Sep 1925), Frank Inches (9 Nov 1857-19 Oct 1909); Julius “Jules” Inches (1859-1933) and Stewart Luke (1861-1941). The lumber mill, which soon became known as the Phoenix Mill, was destroyed by fire on three occasions: 19 Aug 1860, 11 May 1872 and 14 Oct 1885 but John was able to rebuild and expand after each unfortunate happening. Jack went to work for his father and carried it on after his father’s death. He was also involved with log cutting operations on the upper St. John River and lived in the family home after his parents died with his wife Kate and two sons, Guy and Roy.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Series consists of photos of the Morrison family, the Morrison Shingle Mill and other buildings in Fredericton.

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Records were donated by Zaro Calabrese of New Milford, New Jersey, a photograph collector, in October 1986 (FRM acc. 1987.24).

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Provincial Archives of New Brunswick

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

MC300 York-Sunbury Historical Society Collection

Associated materials

Related records include: MS44 – 293, an undated photo of the Morrison Mill; MC1958 (PANB) 5 diaries kept by Lucy (Everett) Morrison, 1869-1885, and copy of the Morrison family history compiled by Patricia Morrison c. 1991; MC2905 (PANB), administrative records of Frank I. Morrison & Son Ltd; and MC3492 (PANB), 2 scrapbooks of clippings and photos of the Morrison family

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

1987

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area