Fonds 113 - Melbourne George and Mary S. Kaye

Title proper

Melbourne George and Mary S. Kaye

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA MtA 113

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Date(s)

  • 1944-1945 (Creation)
    Creator
    George, Melbourne
  • 1944-[ca. 1960]; predominant 1944-1949 (Creation)
    Creator
    Kaye, Mary S.

Physical description

4 cm of textual records

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Name of creator

(d. 1945)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(d. 1991)

Biographical history

During the time of the production of these records, Melbourne and Mary were operating Meb’s Diner, a lunch counter on West Main Street, Sackville, New Brunswick, opposite the Cole Block, situated between P.R. Chapman’s garage and the driveway to the old fire station. They had purchased the business from Osborne White in 1938. Melbourne died in 1945 before they moved into their new home. Mary carried on the business until the government bought the property for the post office building. She then opened a restaurant/take-out, called Mary’s Tea Kozy, in her home at 21 Wellington Street, which operated ca. 1953-1963. Mary died in 1991.

Custodial history

Papers deposited in the Mount Allison University Archives by Dr. Judith Weiss, now owner of the dwelling which once housed Mary’s Tea Kozy, 13 (formerly 21) Wellington Street, Sackville, New Brunswick. The house was built for Melbourne George and Mary S. Kaye in 1945.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of the application made by Melbourne George Kaye to the Controller of Construction, Ottawa, to erect a single dwelling on Wellington St., Sackville, New Brunswick, 1945; business records for Meb’s Diner, W. Main St., Sackville, New Brunswick, 1944-1949; and a menu for Mary’s Tea Kozy, 21 Wellington St., Sackville, New Brunswick, [ca.1960].

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Donated by Judith Weiss, 1992

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Inventory available at repository

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres