Fonds MC197 - Meductic Women's Institute

Titre propre

Meductic Women's Institute

Dénomination générale des documents

  • Document textuel

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

  • Source du titre propre: Title is based on the content of the fonds.

Niveau de description

Fonds

Cote

CA PANB MC197

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Date(s)

  • 1948-1989 (Production)
    Producteur
    Women's Institute. Meductic Women's Institute (York County)

Description matérielle

30 cm of textual records

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Nom du producteur

(Local branch organized in 1948)

Histoire administrative

The Women's Institute was founded in 1897 by Adelaide Hoodless of Stoney Creek, Ontario. Mrs. James E. Porter of Andover, New Brunswick was instrumental in introducing the organization to New Brunswick women. Between 1911 and 1960, hundreds of branches of the Women's Institute were established across the province.

The Meductic Women's Institute was organized on September 2, 1948. The officers elected were: President, Mrs. Sheldon Durling; Secretary-Treasurer, Mrs. Douglas Bagley. In the beginning the group adopted 3 schools: Meductic, Benton and Riceville. The following items were purchased for the schools: window blinds, light shades, waste paper basket, cod liver oil capsules, paper towels, drinking cups, books, and a first aid kit. Later, the ladies started a well baby clinic, donated financially to the Manitoba Relief Fund, St. John Ambulance, Brownie and Girl Guides, Muscular Dystrophy Association, Kidney Association and the Home Company. Blankets were purchased for the Fire Department. Jams, jellies and pickles were made and donated to the Lewis Nursing Home. A key accomplishment of this branch was funding improvements to the Dowville Cemetery. Fundraisers to finance all of the above included the sale of cookbooks, rummage/food sales, and bring and buy sales.

Historique de la conservation

Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.

Portée et contenu

This fonds consists of the administrative records of the Meductic Women's Institute and includes minutes of meetings, financial records, and printed copies of the New Brunswick Department of Agriculture Hand Book for Women's Institutes (1951 and 1958).

État de conservation

Source immédiate d'acquisition

The fonds was donated to the Provincial Archives by Mrs. Marie Colwell of Meductic, New Brunswick on 26 June 1992 along with MC196 Canterbury Women's Institute fonds.

Classement

Langue des documents

  • anglais

Écriture des documents

Localisation des originaux

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Restrictions d'accès

No restrictions

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

Instruments de recherche

An inventory is available.

Éléments associés

The Provincial Archives of New Brunswick holds the records of a number of branches of the Women's Institute.

Éléments associés

Accroissements

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Numéro normalisé

Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Noms

Mots-clés - Genre

Identifiant de la description du document

Identifiant du service d'archives

Règles ou conventions

Statut

Niveau de détail

Dates de production, de révision et de suppression

Langue de la description

Langage d'écriture de la description

Sources

Zone des entrées