Meductic Women's Institute
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title is based on the content of the fonds.
Level of description
CA PANB MC197
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Women's Institute. Meductic Women's Institute (York County)
30 cm of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
The Women's Institute was founded in 1897 by Adelaide Hoodless of Stoney Creek, Ontario. Mrs. James E. Porter of Andover, New Brunswick was instrumental in introducing the organization to New Brunswick women. Between 1911 and 1960, hundreds of branches of the Women's Institute were established across the province.
The Meductic Women's Institute was organized on September 2, 1948. The officers elected were: President, Mrs. Sheldon Durling; Secretary-Treasurer, Mrs. Douglas Bagley. In the beginning the group adopted 3 schools: Meductic, Benton and Riceville. The following items were purchased for the schools: window blinds, light shades, waste paper basket, cod liver oil capsules, paper towels, drinking cups, books, and a first aid kit. Later, the ladies started a well baby clinic, donated financially to the Manitoba Relief Fund, St. John Ambulance, Brownie and Girl Guides, Muscular Dystrophy Association, Kidney Association and the Home Company. Blankets were purchased for the Fire Department. Jams, jellies and pickles were made and donated to the Lewis Nursing Home. A key accomplishment of this branch was funding improvements to the Dowville Cemetery. Fundraisers to finance all of the above included the sale of cookbooks, rummage/food sales, and bring and buy sales.
Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of the administrative records of the Meductic Women's Institute and includes minutes of meetings, financial records, and printed copies of the New Brunswick Department of Agriculture Hand Book for Women's Institutes (1951 and 1958).
Immediate source of acquisition
The fonds was donated to the Provincial Archives by Mrs. Marie Colwell of Meductic, New Brunswick on 26 June 1992 along with MC196 Canterbury Women's Institute fonds.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
An inventory is available.
The Provincial Archives of New Brunswick holds the records of a number of branches of the Women's Institute.