Marysville Lodge No.18, Knights of Pythias
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
CA PANB MC229
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Knights of Pythias. Marysville Lodge No.18
45 cm of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
The Order of the Knights of Pythias, an international non-sectarian fraternal order, was founded in Washington, D.C. in 1864 by Justus H. Rathbone. It was the first fraternal order to receive a charter from the United States government under a special act of Congress. The order's primary objectives -- to promote friendship and to relieve suffering -- are supported by its distinguishing principles of friendship, charity and benevolence. Both the national flag and the Bible have an important place in lodge rituals.
Interest in the Knights of Pythias spread rapidly, and by the turn of the 19th century hundreds of lodges had been established in the United States and Canada. Apparently Marysville Lodge No. 18 was functioning as early as 1905; however, its by-laws were not formally approved until August 1928. Marysville Lodge supported a number of charitable causes and established a widows and orphans' fund to assist members' families. Wines and liquors were excluded from lodge functions and gambling was forbidden in lodge rooms at Castle Hall.
The Knights were active elsewhere in the Maritimes. By 1935 lodges had been established at Milltown, St. Andrews, Moncton, Woodstock, Juniper, Campbellton, Sackville, Saint John, Sussex, St. Stephen, and Fredericton in New Brunswick; at Sydney, Halifax, Windsor, Parrsboro, Amherst, Oxford, Port Grenville, and Truro in Nova Scotia; and at Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. Most of these lodges, including Marysville Lodge No. 18, were affiliated with Grand Lodge Knights of Pythias Domain of the Maritime Provinces. Marysville Lodge No. 18 was functioning in 1954.
Leo P. Melanson recovered these records from the lodge meeting hall located at 7 Mill Street, Marysville, N. B. (now part of the city of Fredericton).
Scope and content
This fonds contains the administrative and financial records of Marysville Lodge No. 18 Knights of Pythias. It consists of general correspondence, correspondence with representatives of Grand Lodge, receipts, accounts, invoices, annual reports, reports of annual conventions, applications for membership, certificates of suspensions, membership cards, and lists of members.
It also includes materials relating to the constitution and by-laws, pamphlets and booklets pertaining to the Order's activities and rituals, circulars, and catalogues of official regalia.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated to the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick by Leo P. Melanson, of Fredericton, New Brunswick, on 8 March 1979.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
An inventory is available.